Cooking is Like Science

Cooking is Like Science
Cooking is Fun & Healthful!

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Really Tender Pot Roast Tonight

I have heard that if you want to make your meat tender, before cooking it, let it soak in whey, buttermilk, or yogurt. I did that last night. I took a round roast and poured whey over it, and then some yogurt. Since it was frozen, instead of letting it sit on the counter overnight to defrost, I put the roast meat with the whey and buttermilk in a slow cooker (crock-pot). I cooked it on low all night, and then turned it to high during the day. I turned it back to low in the afternoon. I couldn't believe how well the beef broth turned out too. It was rich in color and has a nice flavor. I put salt on it at the end of cooking. I also put a bay leaf in the juice that the roast was cooking in. Maybe the secret was in the Penzey's roast beef seasoning, I don't know for sure. But it was flavorful and colorful and the roast was very tender. I will probably use the rest of the roast in other recipes. One of them will be stir fried rice with beef. I can even use the broth to cook the rice in. Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment