Cooking is Like Science

Cooking is Like Science
Cooking is Fun & Healthful!

Friday, June 20, 2014

My Strawberry Milkshake a.k.a. 'Pink Milk'

When I was really little, my mom tried desperately to get us to eat. She would actually put Bosco in my bottle. (Yes, I had a bottle until I was 4 years old. Not a good idea). One thing that tasted really good was Nestle Strawberry Quik. In fact, I used to give this to my children because they didn't eat either.
  My daughter woke up one morning and her first words were 'pink' (we used to call it 'pink milk'). She would get a cup of it first thing in the morning.
 Times have changed and I am no longer going to buy the powder to make 'pink milk' with, but I figured out how I can make my own.
  Last week, for school, we had an assignment to read a book. The book I chose was called, 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time' which was a novel written by Mark Haddon, but it was written as if the narrator was a 15 year old autistic boy. He was a picky eater and his mum catered to him in many ways. One of his favorite foods was a strawberry milk shake. As I read the book, I was remembering how good the Nestle Strawberry Quik tasted, so, I decided to try to make my own. Of course, mine is going to be without sugar.
  I took some strawberries and placed them in the Vitamix with a cup of raw milk and some drops of stevia. Problem was solved! Now I can have my own version of Nestle Strawberry Quik without all the additives!
  In addition to this, I am growing lots of Alpine strawberry plants, along with a regular strawberry plant (which should reproduce someday). I would love to have so many strawberries growing, that I could just pull them off whenever I want to make a strawberry shake.
  Did you know that strawberries are normally heavily sprayed, probably with insecticide? My strawberries are not going to be sprayed with conventional insecticides. I will put BT on them and maybe Diatomaceous Earth, but nothing chemical or artificial!
  The next question is, where will I put them once they are ready to be planted???
My own version of 'Pink Milk' - a recipe similar to 'Strawberry Quik'


Strawberry Milk Shake aka 'Pink Milk'

5 or 6 strawberries, or strawberries to taste and color
1 cup milk (can use almond or rice. Raw milk is best)
A few drops of liquid Stevia, or enough to taste

Put all ingredients in a blender or Vitamix, and blend until there are no more small pieces of strawberry left. 

For those of you who want to look at my gardens, please go to http://gardens4all.blogspot.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment