Cooking is Like Science

Cooking is Like Science
Cooking is Fun & Healthful!

Thursday, June 19, 2014

My Sick Kitty

  I have been very busy the last 2 weeks with a sick cat and a big schoolwork load. I can't complain about the schoolwork load for this class is only 2 credits and the workload is light, that is until I have a reading assignment like I did last week. I looked at the assignments on Saturday, and they are due midnight Wednesday. I had a whole book to read, and the assignment read, 'read the book in its entirety.' Well, you can imagine how much time I spent reading starting Sunday through Wednesday. It got done, but I had to let go of other things, even taking care of my cat.
   A couple of weeks ago, some people brought to my attention that my cat didn't look well. I took her to the vet, and she was hospitalized. They ran tests and rehydrated her. She has an enlarged heart, but also kidney failure (on its way). She had a UTI which was treated with meds and cleared up. Now for the problems with the kidneys.
  I was informed by the vet that eventually her kidneys will fail. She was put on a prescription diet and also fluid therapy. Now I have to give her an I.V. every day, so she can stay hydrated.
  I don't know about you, but I am not thrilled about putting my animals on a prescription diet. I know there might not be a perfect answer yet, for this dilemma. I went to a holistic pet store where they sell organic food, and pet food made without grains. I tried some raw chicken, which neither cat touched. I sent it back and got some dried cat food without grains. I have tried 3 or 4 different types of cat food that might be suitable for Precious and Frankie. They are the most finicky eaters anywhere!
   It's my fault though, for I insisted on my cats eating dry cat food. Eating dry cat food can help clean their teeth and is good for their gums compared to canned cat food. So, now I have to spend time researching ways I can get my finicky cats to eat food that will help with kidney problems. I don't want my cat to be a statistic. I want to beat this thing. But how hard this is when the cat doesn't want to cooperate!
Frankie and Precious following the laser light. Good
exercise for kitties. 
   Dry cat food doesn't contain the liquids that cats need to have, especially cats who have kidney problems and need to have their kidneys flushed.
     Precious is doing much better though, and I am pleased. She is 16 years old, and cats are pretty hardy. I hope to have her a long time. We lost one cat to cancer already, as well as a dog. Why? I don't know why my pets would get cancer, but I know that the dog who lived in this house before we moved in had cancer. It's got to be something in the house. Hopefully, it is no longer there. We've done a lot in this house to change things.
  I will continue to research the best way to take care of my pets. While I appreciate technology and veterinarian care, I want to look for a better way to keep my pets well. And as long as I have pets, I will look for the best for each of them and do research on keeping them healthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment