Cooking is Like Science

Cooking is Like Science
Cooking is Fun & Healthful!

Sunday, January 8, 2017

Three Things I Don't Understand - Dangers in the Kitchen

There are three things I don't understand that I read often today. And most of these articles or recipes are put out by people who are in some level, health authorities, though not all are.

The first one that I don't understand is recipes that use aluminum foil to cook their food in. I have found some neat recipes where you stick all the food on a piece of aluminum foil, then wrap the foil up and put it on the grill or in the rotisserie basket. Do people not realize yet that aluminum, especially when it is heated, could contribute to Alzheimer's? How many more health articles will it take before people stop making recipes this way? Or do they not read the articles that come out concerning health issues?

The second one is the plastic bag thing. Even using a plastic bag from the grocery store could give off BPA to the person using the bag. But what is even worse is that some company makes plastic bags to cook food in, especially in a slow cooker. Don't people realize how dangerous this is as the heat causes the toxins in the plastic to leach into the food? It's not just the BPA, as bad as that is, but there are other toxins as well, and as the plastic heats up, then the toxins are released and they can get into the cooking food.

The third problem I have is all the recipes I see (and I read a lot of recipes) that call for Canola oil. What is amazing is that many of these recipes come in books or booklets that have to do with healthful cooking. Although there are more problems than just the issue of saturated fat vs. mono-saturated fats, this whole issue of saturated fats being bad for you is Old School. I found this web page which goes over the things that are wrong with Canola oil.
http://www.shapingconcepts.com/blog/dr-oz-advice-canola-oil/

OK, I got it off my chest. Thanks for reading. Happy eating. Eat safely!




No comments:

Post a Comment