Cooking is Like Science

Cooking is Like Science
Cooking is Fun & Healthful!

Monday, May 21, 2012

The Things I Have Changed in My Habits

   Everyone wants to live longer, right? I not only want to live longer, but I want to have the energy to live the life that I've been given. I have learned recently that the big culprit behind all our ailments is toxins. We get toxins by the foods we eat, air we breathe, and things we touch. Plus, if we don't get exercise, toxins can build up in our bodies. So, little by little, I have been changing some of the things I am doing, and a lot of the products I am currently using. Here are some of the recent changes I am making:
1. Making homemade shampoo (commercial shampoo is really bad for you if you didn't know this already).
2. Cutting back on sugar and products containing sugar (sugar is really bad for you too).
3. Using natural sweeteners that are recommended by health officials (like stevia and xylitol)
4. Using peroxide with my toothpaste, or, making my own peroxide/baking soda toothpaste. (Fluoride can cause cancer).
5. Making my own laundry detergent (unsafe ingredients used in commercial detergents)
6. Using stainless steel glasses and straws (glass is good too).
7. Making my own soap (for more info on that go to Oma's Workshop)
8. Storing food in mason jars instead of plastic tub containers. (Plastics can contain BPA, which can leach out and act like the hormone estrogen).
9. Making my own cream cheese, butter, ricotta, yogurt, and whey. I try to use raw milk when possible. Greenwise milk is a good alternative as I don't think it is ultrapasteurized.
10. If it is not too hot out, I open the windows and doors and turn the fan on to air out the house. Also, it is good to have green plants inside (I don't have much of those, but would like to grow wheatgrass). Plants that are green provide oxygen that we so desperately need.
11. Create my own compost using worms. It is called 'vermicomposting'. It makes compost tea as well as rich compost.
Worm Composting
12. Grow my own sprouts. I have been doing this for awhile so it is not new. Just be careful with the water you use. Always use purified water on your plants and sprouts, not tap water.
What are some ways you have adapted to your lifestyle that will help to keep a healthy body and environment? I would love to hear about more ideas. Please post them here if you have something you really like and use. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment